Friday, August 3, 2012

Our Athletes Need You!

Hello Everyone!

The Games are well underway and Team USA is already proving that they are some of the best athletes in the world! Team USA truly consists of tremendous athletes and quality people and each and every day they make sacrifices to become our country’s best. They put in countless hours of hard work, they sacrifice time with their families and put their careers on hold…all to inspire us to do better and strive for more.
That being said, I wanted to take a moment to share with you some important information that most people aren’t aware of………..the United States Olympic Team is one of the only countries in the world that does not receive any government funding to support Team USA’s efforts. Not one cent goes to swimsuits or ice time, meals or trainers. To explain, the U.S. Olympic Committee and all of our National Governing Bodies (NGB’s as we call them) are non-profit organizations and secure their funds through sponsorships, membership fees and private donations. In comparison, other powerhouses across the world receive millions of dollars from their governments to fund their programs.

That being said, Team USA’s situation poses the ultimate American challenge: do more (and often much, much more) with much, much less….be strategic and creative with how you deploy your resources….build valuable partnerships with those who believe in your mission….and rely on the American people and their pride for the red, white and blue to support your efforts.
Well friends, with this in mind, there are many ways that YOU can help make Olympic dreams come true. And to name just a few of these ways……..become a member of your favorite sport’s NGB, participate in sports and be active, purchase products from our sponsors, go to events or watch events on NBC, spread this important and interesting message and donate to an NGB or the USOC. Donating is super easy and it is something that Justin and I do every year by going to www.teamusa.org.  I sincerely hope that you will take this message to heart and keep it in mind when you watch our athletes tonight! J

So in terms of what I have been up to the last few days, here is a 'snap shot':

My growing pin collection...and the best credential I've ever had!

 

The swimming venue!

 
I have never even been able to access the swimming venue...let alone sit this close!
Yep I was there when he broke the record! So amazing and I feel so fortunate to have witnessed Olympic history!

 
Jordan's medal tracker at home in Hibbing! (Jordan is one of my Goddaughters) So cute!

 
The rings outside the swimming venue

 
The outside of the swimming venue


The Olympic Stadium and Olympic sculpture at night

 
The Olympic Stadium - so neat!

The McDonald's at the Olympic Park...I've heard this is the biggest McDonald's ever!


An awesome sculpture at the Olympic Park

 
And another one...

Outside of the Aussie building in the Village...Justin would fit right in - lol

 
Outside the Canada building in the Village

 
Street food in the Village...kind of like a healthy state fair atmosphere! Vendors from across the UK were asked to bring their tastiest treats to the Village and this has been a very popular attraction here! Fun idea for sure!

Also, I’d like to give a shout out to one of my best friends, Stacey Sogard! Thank you for making me laugh even when I’m in London! J
Cheers!
Julie

P.S. My Cousin-in-Law, Lindsey, is an engineer who sent me a really cool link to information about what the Olympic Village used to be and how they turned it into what it is now. You have to check it out! http://www.stormh2o.com/SW/Blogs/1419.aspx

4 comments:

  1. OHMYGOD I'm famous! And I totally got the best pictures in my shout-out post. I think I'll donate money right now. Also I can't believe you were SO DANG CLOSE at swimming! Insanely jealous. And cute hair, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this concern with all of us. I for one was blissfully unaware of the fact that the teams I am so proud of are not financially supported by our government. I will try and spread the word to donate - I just made my first Team USA donation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie- you have such an awesome job!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience- it is so fun to read your blog. Our girls are trying to convince u that we should go to Rio for the next summer Olympics !!!

    ReplyDelete