Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Something Special...

Because I know that so many of you are glued to the TV right now and checking results online like you were just hired to be a statistician, I propose the following:

I care about the Olympics because                                                                                               .
Fill in the blank. I’m curious. Why do you stay up so late every night watching soccer games? Why do you get choked up when you hear your national anthem being played? Why have the Olympics become such a big part of your life these last few days? Why do all of you want me to get you an Olympic pin while I am here? (J)

For me, the reasons are endless. Every day I find something new to love about the Olympics. And it’s usually during the moments that make me emotional that I mentally chalk another reason up on my list.
Here’s one of my latest and most notable examples: I care about the Olympics because on a cold and rainy London night I can go to an amazing architectural stadium that was built specifically for a two week time period and under the literal heat of the Olympic torch watch a grown man sob on the medal stand as he hears his national anthem being played in front of 80,000 people from all over the world.

It sounds like something out of story book, right? Well that’s just it…the Olympics are so unique and so out-of-this-world that they can’t even be compared to anything else. They are just that special. And it’s hard to even describe them to other people if you haven’t ever experienced it in person. It is just something you have to see for yourself. So start planning your trips folks…there are seats in Sochi, Rio and Pyeongchang with your name on it!
Highlights from the last few days…

  • Cheered for Team USA in a British pub with some of my Colorado friends
  •  
  • Welcomed our women’s soccer team into the Village (they had been living and playing in other parts of the country and have recently moved into the London Village in preparation for the gold medal game)
  •  
  • Restocked one of our famous tennis players with more Team USA pins
  •  
  • Looked out the window next to my desk and saw a few members of our men’s basketball team walking by and mingling with a few of our hurdlers
  •  
  • Traded ‘badges’ (aka pins) in the Village with people from Iran and Afghanistan
  •  
  • Had some delicious waffles in the dining hall
  •  
  • Came up with a good way to describe what it feels like to be in the Village: you know when you are in a dome stadium and there is an airtight door that you have to walk out of to exit the stadium and it sort of pops you out into the world? That is how it feels when you leave the Village…I know it sounds kind of funny because obviously the Village isn’t in a dome but that is sort of how it feels to me because the Village environment can be so artificial…suddenly you are back into a world where people have to pay for things and you have to stand in line for everything and you have no idea which country people are from because they are not wearing any kind of team gear…and then you realize again just how awesome the village is!
The shout out today goes to my ‘brilliant’ teammates…although they are always giving me a hard time about, well…just about everything, they are the best teammates in the world and I am honored to work alongside them each and every day!

Cheers!
Julie

P.S. Here’s a new and very cool video to check out: The 100 Meter Dash - One Race Every Medalist Ever http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/08/05/sports/olympics/the-100-meter-dash-one-race-every-medalist-ever.html?smid=fb-share

My Colorado friends and I cheering for Team USA at a real British pub!


The best picture I have next to an Olympic torch to date!


Amazing


THE Olympic Stadium


Yep I actually got this close to it


Not bad for a little camera, huh? :) I heard that each country will get to keep their little horn of this torch...super cool.


Nice touch Omega!


Our American flag hanging from the rafters


My traditional photo with a volunteer who is doing the job that Kate and I had in Athens! :)


Go Team USA!


One of our 100m sprinters receiving his medal at the awards ceremony



I couldn't get very close to the 100m award ceremony so I had to capture it on the big screen...still super neat to be there!

A start block


The Olympic and British flags flying in the stadium



The crazy sculpture during the day!




















5 comments:

  1. I love the Olympics because I love seeing each athlete fulfill a dream of going to the Olympics, I love the energy that each athlete brings and I get emotionally invested in many of the events I watch. I love cheering for everyone and hope someday to see the Olympics live in person :) I've gotten teary eyed too many times too count this Olympics.
    Love the pics Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy seeing these athletes, who have sacrificed so much, lay everything on the line to compete at the highest level possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Olympics because all the athletes are so happy to be there and even if they finish last or don't win a medal it's just about being there and the journey they have taken to get there. So proud of Team USA! I love swimming, diving, track and field, equestrian and especially gymnastics. Impressed with Aly Raisman and Gaby Douglas! Excited for Elizabeth Tweedle of Great Britain winning a medal in her final Olympics. Such a special time for them all! What an incredible honor to be called an Olympian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am drawn to the Olympic games because they allow us to witness man performing feats of excellence and striving for perfection on the natural level. New records are being set each day as athletes push the boundaries of man's potential. Yet, we also realize, through watching the Olympics, the finiteness of our being and are forced to look beyond ourselves to something Other.

    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it! Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable."
    -1 Cor. 9:24-25

    ReplyDelete
  5. All images are very interesting.Good collection...Today (August 10, 2012, Friday) Google is featuring “Football” by showing the Doodle “london 2012 soccer“. This event is taking place from Wednesday 25 July – Saturday 11 August.

    ReplyDelete